Deputy Commander for Cadets
1ST LT SHIRLIANN COOK
1st Lt Cook is currently serving as the Deputy Commander for Cadets. She began her Civil Air Patrol career as a senior member in February 2017. Invited to join the Chaplain Staff as a Character Development Instructor, her passion is creating opportunities for all cadets in the squadron and within the Oregon Wing.
Volunteer Service is one of her favorite aspects of the program and she looks forward to each and every opportunity to create new experiences for America’s next generation of leaders. As the primary liaison to the Evergreen Aviation Museum, she has created opportunities to earn service hours by cleaning and caring for the aircraft artifacts in the museum. Using her connections within the Oregon Christian Education Association Network (OCEAN), she has been able to bring CAP to the homeschool community through their annual conference. For the last three years, she and her team of highly dedicated CAP officers have lead the way in the largest CAP recruiting event in Oregon in many years, affording other cadet and senior members the opportunity to share what CAP has to offer to local homeschool families.
1st Lt Cook has created a strong relationship with our local state representative, Mr. Ron Noble. He has visited the squadron on several different occasions to present awards and share his career experiences and leadership insight with our members.
She has attended many CAP events, working in any capacity that she can to serve the members of the CAP including service on the senior staffs at two basic cadet encampments, dining facility crew at National Blue Beret, as the public affairs officer for the Region Chaplain Staff College, and as the senior member advisor to the Oregon Wing Cadet Advisory Council. She currently maintains the squadron Instagram and Facebook pages and regularly writes articles for the Wingspan (the Oregon Wing’s newsletter) and the CAP Chaplain Corps quarterly newsletter.
She currently holds CAP emergency services specialty qualifications as a Ground Team Member (Level 3), Mission Staff Assistant, and entry level communicator. She is also training for qualifications as a Chaplain Support Specialist, Urban Direction Finding (UDF) Team Member, Public Information Officer, Mission Radio Operator, Mission Safety Officer, and Ground Team Leader. She is senior rated as a Public Affairs Officer and holds technician ratings in Cadet Programs and Character Development. She is looking forward to actively continuing her training to become a better servant leader within the squadron.
In private life, 1st Lt Cook is a homeschool mom of two CAP cadets. She spends a lot of her time volunteering for the local community center and food bank. She worked for 5 years as a barn manager for a local small raw milk dairy. Prior to that, she worked in the field of veterinary medicine.
February 2017, Level 1 Orientation Course (by correspondence)
March 2017, Basic Instructor Course (by correspondence)
August 2017, Training Leaders of Cadets – Basic Course
September 2017, Training Leaders of Cadets – Advanced Course
June 2018, Cadet Protection – Basic Course
July 2018, Squadron Leadership School
July 2018, Officer Basic Course
September 2018, Corporate Learning Course
April 2019, Pacific Region Chaplain Staff College
August 2019, Unit Commander’s Course
October 2019, Inspector General Senior Course
January 2020, Cadet Protection – Advanced Course
January 2020, Aircraft Ground Handling (by correspondence)
1. May 2017- March 2018 – Assistant Public Affairs Officer, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
2. November 2017 – Present, Character Development Officer, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
3. March 2018 – January 2020, Public Affairs Officer, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
4. October 2018 – December 2018, Supply Officer, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
5. December 2018 – Present, Assistant Administrative Officer, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
6. December 2018 – Present, Squadron Activities Officer, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
7. August 2019 – January 2020, Assistant Deputy Commander for Cadets, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
8. September 2019 – Present, Assistant Aerospace Education Officer, McMinnville Composite Squadron, Oregon Wing
Also presently serving as the Senior Advisor to the Oregon Wing Cadet Advisory Council.
1. December 2018 – Public Affairs Staff, Winter Raptor III Encampment, Camp Rilea, OR
2. July 2019 – Dining Facility Staff, National Blue Beret, Oshkosh, WI
3. August 2019 – Instructor / Staff, Training Leaders of Cadets – Basic Course, McMinnville, OR
4. December 2019 – Tactical Officer, Winter Raptor IV Encampment, Camp Rilea, OR
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
CAP Commander’s Commendation Award with bronze clasp
CAP Achievement Award with bronze clasp
Grover Loening Aerospace Award
Gen. Benjamin O. Davis Leadership Award
Leadership Award with bronze star device
CAP Membership Award
Brigadier General Charles E. “Chuck” Yeager Aerospace Education Achievement Award
Cadet Special Activity Ribbon
Encampment Ribbon with bronze clasp
Red Service Ribbon
Air Search and Rescue Ribbon with two bronze clasps
Search “Find” Ribbon
Community Service Ribbon
CAP Basic Ground Team Badge
CAP Senior Public Affairs Badge
CAP Cadet Programs Badge
CAP Character Development Badge
2019 Oregon Wing Senior Member of the Year
2019 Oregon Wing Character Development Instructor of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
2d Lt, 12 NOV 2017
1st Lt, 13 MAY 2019
(Current as of 20 JAN 2020)